Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Labels... #31daywritingchallenge #day1

My oldest daughter Lily Grace is seven now and in second grade.  After only a couple weeks of school I have now had two conversations with her teacher about her progress this year.  Had you asked me a few months ago how I would feel about our discussions I probably would have given you a very different answer than now.  Most parents do not want to hear the acronym ADD. I know, nails on a chalkboard, gasp, sigh.... I really in my heart new it was coming because of the struggles I have had, but if you are a parent you know, you want everything to be easy for your child. I am so thankful for the gift of a wonderful teacher who loves my daughter and knows her heart already.  In the midst of my "dreaded discussion" I was overwhelmed with peace. Yes, things were about to get challenging, frustrating, long, hard... But, it's a label and I have decided we don't do labels in this family...there is really only one label I'd like to give myself, Lily Grace or any other family member and that is Child. Galatians 3:26-28 " So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is no Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male or female, for you are all one in Christ."

There is no ADD, ADHD, popular, unpopular, beautiful, ugly, smart, dumb... Just child. My prayer is that I can pound that in all four of their little heads... You are a child of God, any other label doesn't count, good or bad. Yes, I'll do everything in my power to come along side Lily Grace and give her tools to help with school. But I'll also praise her for her heart, her creativity, her beautiful mind. And I'll thank God for health and this small minor bump in the road that terrifies everyone. 2Timothy 1:7 " For God has not given us a spirit of fear but of POWER and of LOVE and of a SOUND MIND." I will not allow Satan to make my daughter fear ADD but I'll show her to embrace it and I'll continually ask The Lord to help me to not fear it as well and to help me cultivate in her a spirit of Power over it.  So many parents have had these discussions and so many immediately get consumed and fearful. Please please remember there are no labels that matter ultimately, except one... CHILD

No comments:

Post a Comment